A small Frisian town that was an important merchant center in the past. Hindeloopen is one of the well-known eleven Frisian towns hosting a winter skating marathon. It’s famous by special traditional costumes and fine paintworks. A relatively large yacht harbour has good facilities and is therefore an attractive place for many water sports enthusiasts. Every year various competitions get organized in Hindelopen waters – for sport boats as well as for traditional Dutch flat bottom ships like Skûtsje and Lemsteraak.
Not to be missed:
- Sylhús (lock watcher’s house)
- The blue warehouse of KNRM, the Dutch search & rescue community
- A visit to various art ateliers
- Visiting the skates museum “het Eerst Friese Schaatsmuseum”
- Kiting/surfing along the coast (for the fans)